Friday, February 5, 2010

Jayaram apologises for comment on Tamil women in TV interview

Popular Malayalam and Tamil film actor Jayaram today expressed regret for his comments on Tamil women.

The actor courted controversy for describing a domestic help as 'dark, fat, buffalo-like Tamil woman', following which various organisations and activists demanded an unconditional apology from him.

In a statement here today, the actor said his remarks had been misinterpreted.

Jayaram had reportedly made the remark in an interview to a Malayalam TV channel last week.

''It was a joke from one of my films and not aimed at hurting the sentiments of anyone in particular,'' he said.

Asked whether he had ever taken a second look at his house maid in real life, he said ''my maid is a dark, fat, buffalo-like Tamil woman. How can I even look at her?' Seeking to play down the controversy, Jayaram said, ''I made the comment just like that when a question was asked in this regard.

I did not mean to hurt anybody's feelings.'' ''I have been in the Tamil film industry for 23 years and never have I hurt the feelings of Tamils. If at all my recent comments had disturbed womenfolk, I set out to seek an apology,'' he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Today Live Streaming Matches